Today, I would like to share the 1920 census for Henry Peacock “HP” McCormack and his growing family.Here is the portion of the census that we are concerned with today; They were enumerated on the 10th of January 1920. The extracted information for the household is;
Relation, Home (owned or rented), if owned (free or mortgaged), Sex, Color, Age, martial status, immigration year, naturalized or alien, year of naturalization, attended school, read, write, place of birth, POB of father, POB of mother, speak English, trade or profession, industry, salary or wage
1. Henry P. McCormack, Head, R,, M, W, 28, M, , , , , Y, Y, Nevada, Michigan, Nevada, Y, Mechanic, Garage, W, ,
2. Ethel McCormack, Wife,,, F, W, 27, M, , , , , Y, Y, California, California, Minnesota,, none,,,,
3. Henry McCormack, Son,,, M, W, 3 6/12, S, , , , , , , Nevada, Nevada, California,, none,,,,
4. Betty McCormack, Daughter,,, F, W, 2 3/12, S, , , , , , , Nevada, Nevada, California,, none,,,,
One thing that we can see is wrong is the place of birth for Henry’s father John Michael McCormack. JM, or Jimmie as he was called, wasn’t born in Michigan. He was born in London, Ontario, Canada like all his brothers except for William. The rest of the information is pretty much spot on. In later years, HP’s family would grow much bigger.
I guess that HP moved to Marysville or that area to establish some “independence” from his father, who was at the time, a big name in Reno. This move would establish a presence in northern California that would continue right up to the present day for the McCormack family.
Thanks for stopping by!
1. 1920 United States Federal Census, Maryville, Yuba County, California, population schedule, Ward 1, ED 178, Pg. 264 (stamped), dwelling 159, family 187, Henry Peacock McCormack, digital image, Ancestry.com, http://search.ancestry.com, accessed 24 Nov 2007, citing Fourteenth Census of the United States, 1920. (NARA microfilm publication T625, 2076 rolls). Records of the Bureau of the Census, Record Group 29. National Archives, Washington, D.C.