Today, I would like to share the 1900 census for Maria “Minnie” Bedina (McCormack) Barnes and her family. At the time, Maria or Minnie as she was called, lived in Otter Lake, Michigan. She and her family, which consisted of herself, her husband Charles E. Barnes, son Harold and her stepdaughter, Cora. They were enumerated on the same page as her older brother, William.Here is the portion of the census that we are concerned with today; They were enumerated on the 7th of June 1900. The extracted information for the household is;
name, relation, color of race, sex, date of birth, age, martial status, years married, # of children, # of children living, place of birth, place of birth father, place of birth mother, year of immigration, # of years in U.S., naturalization, occupation, attended school, read, write, speak English, own or rent, owned free or mortgage, farm or house
1. Charles Barnes, head, W, M, Sep 1866, 33, M, 6, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Sailor, 4, Y, Y, Y, R(?), H
2. Minnie Barnes, Wife, F, Apr 1877, 23, M, 6, 1, 1, Michigan, Ireland, Ireland, (read) Y, (write) Y, (speak English) Y
3. Harold Barnes, Son, W, M, Dec 1898, 1, S, Michigan, Michigan, Michigan
4. Cora Barnes, Daughter, W, F, Oct 1885, 14, S, Illinois, Michigan, (?), Canada(?), at school, 9, Y, Y, Y
Some of the things that we learn from this census are 1.) this is the only appearance in a census for Charles’s daughter Cora. Btw, she was his daughter from a prior marriage of which I have NO documentation. 2.) Unfortunately, the only appearance of Minnie’s son Harold. He would die just over 3 months later. 3.) that Otter Lake was home for many of the McCormacks, parents and children.
Thanks for stopping by!
1. 1900 United States Federal Census, Otter Lake, Lapeer County, Michigan, population schedule, Ward X, ED 43, Pg. 210 (stamped), dwelling 136, family 136, Charles E. Barnes, digital image, Ancestry.com, http://search.ancestry.com/, accessed 23 Feb 2008, citing Twelfth Census of the United States, 1900. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1900. T623, 1854 rolls.